Head Teacher's Blog 12.07.2021
12th July 2021
So far so good, we have reached the last week of term and on the whole we’re still standing. Unfortunately, last week we have had two members of staff contacted through Test and Trace, consequently we have been relying on the flexibility of staff to cover all classes and to keep the bubbles going. Please bear with us and hopefully we’ll get to Friday with all children in school.
On Thursday morning, Year 5 took part in their Olympic morning. They worked their way around a carousel of 8 different activities, collecting thousands of points for their castle teams. They all tried extremely hard in very warm, muggy conditions.
The points they have been awarded have been added to the scores from the LKS2 Olympics. The winning castle will be announced after the Year 6 event next week.
So far, the standings are:
- Alnwick Castle - 3455 points
- Bamburgh Castle - 3302 points
- Warkworth Castle - 3281 points
- Dunstanburgh Castle - 3143 points
Well done to each and every child who has competed!
Other important events to note this week are:
- Reception picnic in the park will now take place on WEDNESDAY 14th JULY. Please note the new date because of a poor weather forecast for Monday. Please wear school uniform and ensure children have a waterproof jacket and a sun hat and water bottle as well as packed lunch if bringing from home
- ‘Getting to know you’ meetings on Tuesday morning - Attempt 2!
- On Tuesday afternoon we have the last swimming session for Sycamore and Larch classes.
- Nursery new starters story sessions are scheduled for Tuesday at 9.30am and 1.30pm and Thursday at 1.30pm
- Maple class trip to Clarty Comandos is on Wednesday and Willow class are going on Thursday.
- UKS2 Adventure Activity Days: Year 6 on Wednesday and Year 5 on Thursday. Please make sure children are in school and ready to be registered for 8:30am and refer to the kit list for appropriate clothing making sure that the children have a change of clothes. We aim to be back at school around 4:30 and will keep parents updated.
- Year 6 will be taking part in their Olympics on Thursday morning – please come to school in PE kit.
- The final group of Year 6 children will be completing Level 3 Bikeability on Thursday afternoon - letters have been sent out to those involved.
As usual at the end of term we’ll be sending home books and children’s belongings.
Northumberland’s Libraries have launched this year's Summer Reading Challenge: Wild World Heroes. Join six fictional ‘wild heroes’ as they tackle real-world environmental issues and help to save the planet. Visit the Northumberland County Council website for more information and to find out how to sign up for your free adventure pack.
Special message from Mrs Grimes: There was only one choice for music to make you happy and this week it has been chosen especially for Mrs Smith. We can’t have an end of summer term without a bit of Cliff! Here’s hoping that next July, we can play it in the school hall once again! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xddl8fpf2uA
This week our stars of the week are: Artie Potts, Rudy Mather, Daisy Burgess, Aiden Alam, Cillian Grey, Tegan Newbegin, Evan Isats, Sofia Bonnett, Sophie Hetherington, Frankie Pentleton, Holly Ellis and Jacob Jones. Well done everyone, an electronic certificate will be with you soon.
Have a super last week and enjoy your summer holidays. We are looking forward to seeing the children on Wednesday 8th September.
Take care and stay safe.